14 February, 2010

On being of the Younge Generation: we're just trying to be friendly.

Perusual, driving along the autobahn or whatever and motherfucker play the Monkee's theme song and it's me and im hearing it for the first time irrspective that it's the 20,000th time I've heard it and i hear the drums and the singing and the silliness and i realise that it's happened again, a wondrful piece of art has sturck me on a diferent day w. a different realization and I determined to internet the chords and lyrics and all of that and practice practice practice. my world thse days.

Longtime have i loved thee Momkees. Grew up wit'm, of course, and always loved Pop music. In early 1980's future bro in law ment me a rarities double Monkee LP - fucking fantastic. I believe there is a Monkees song above all others : "I'm a believer" is one of western Arts most important and powerful peices- but covers by the Pistols and that 80's DC puk band (name escapes me - Blackie, help??)hepped me up to "Stepping Stone", and "clarkville" is a great song. But, this song is really necer payed on the radio, so hearing it first suprised me - and then the song took over. Silly, yes. Great , yes. Many lesser songs as well - "start Collector", "she hangs out", "You may just be the One", etc... Although i am not a "Monkeeshead", I have a nice general knowledge of their career. Good group. Now set for a reprise in my head.

Here are three different versions - the original opener to the TV series, the eventual opening credits version, and the 45' version.

truely, the song od the moment:

No comments: