11 January, 2011

A nite / for the rite / hand

Double free show, five bands seen, two frenz to hang w.

Sat. nite was Rocky's suggestion - some band of other @ Quenchers. I knew I wanted to hang w. Dragon, and Rocky provided a great suggestion. Late - there was that Bulls game -v- Boston to cheer for - and then the largo ride north. I missed the first band of three - Roxx loved so much he got some vynal (wit -how do you spell it?) of them. The middle show was kinda a treat - I whispered to roxx in the first 10s of the show : 'This is the greatest band Ive ever seen". The rest of the show dropped them into "The top 1000 bands Ive ever seen live" category. Pretty funny. Obvious the three man band was 101% into Albini - w/in seconds, it I was thinkking "Shellac" and the other two mention "Big Black". Notonly that - the guitars and t shirts and attitude of the band leader - all Shellac. They were pretty good. Not Shellac, y'know, but ....

In the 'outside in rocky's boat' part of the nite w. one of his new bandmates, R. was jamming som of his new project - sounded good. Very little music itself (not a critism), but the sound collages ..... i liked it.

Monday nite was the late decision to go tot he free show @ Empty Bottle. Packed. The girls were incredible. Talked to none. In addition to feeling ancient, confused, unattractive, and boring - im unemployed!! So many fetching women...

The music was ok. Several good songs, and an incredible one (called "17" by the middle group, whatever their name). Good to hang w. Dragon. But the funniest thing inside my own mind was this nite was the first since I started playing where the fret hand of the guitarists was not what I was watching - it instead was the strumming hand. I have grinded down my strum patterns, and realise - hup - here's an area where i can watch and learn. So I did.

Didnt stay to the end - Dragon was there as I left. But, again, nice to see the chix, strumms, heard the sounds, jabble w. Draggs and etc...

No comments: