16 November, 2010

BOB's brothers

So deeply did I love Band of Brothers - such an experience. Not here and now to go on about it - but ti was one of the more deeply felt -by me - art werkes ever. Loved it. lately Ive finally gotten around to enjoy two of BOB's children - as in HBO miniseries on war.

I'd read the Rolling stone article "Generation Kill" back when it came out - still a RS subscriber back then - and deeply love dit. well written, interesting, and an excellent cast. I don't know why I didnt read the book when it can out - su cant understand why I didnt - and I also mided the HBO series about it when it came out. But last month, @ the Sulzer, there it was in DVD - so I figgered id try the first few episodes and see if it was worthit - and yes , very much so.

Just loved it. It didnt slay me to absolute death like BOB - but i put that to the time of my life and how i interpret my life through art - but th impression it has left on me rite now is tremendous. Again, like BOB, you are in a small band of men in deeply dangerouz situatons. You spend hours w. them, share their laughter, "share" their danger, triumphs, problems, frustartions, etc etc etc... Again, i felt like I was in this unit - part of the brotherhood. When the mimiseries (7 episodes) ended, I wanted it to continue - so the book was checked out of the library (the West Town branch - it's housed in that beautiful old Wiebolts building on Chicago Ave. that they wre gonna tear down 15ya but the city saved - thanx). I'm nearing finishing - but dont want it to end.

So - military stuff - i love it. the teamwork, the results, the weapons, the solutions, the situations - fetish i have for that stuff. but other fetishes - bodily functions - show up. So may jokes about shitting, etc... Love it. But what struck me most was the how all the marines - although doing a good job as Marines - also know that the situation is kina fucked up. Again and again the thought "What would we think if some other army came to the USA and started 'doing what we are doing' " came up. One of my favourite scenes comes up w. this thought - in the midle of the city, w. women around, the Marines just shit out i public. Funny.

So, 506 PIR, let 1st Marines Second Battalion join the Pantheon(sic) of my fave military units. There are Winters, Liptons, Cobbs, Dykes, Martins, etc etc etc rive throughout the 7h. Do see it.

I watched BOB mainly w. 2 sets of people. When it was first out, i went to those September and October 2001 Sunday's @ the Gallos. I watched the first seven episodes there - but had to wait a year to watch the last three. Joker got the DVD eries, so The last three episodes I watched w. him -especially during those very dark times in my life (some girl or other...). SO, for me, I wanted to watch The Pacific w. eithe the Gallos or Joker Gallo has BO demand, so we planned to watch it that way bit by bit over a 2m period or so. When we finay looked for that first episode - it wasn't on demand!!! However, the same week it was put out on DVD - and I luck upon the first four episodes. ow - what to do - wait for Gallo? Joker? I decided to just go ahead and watch the first four and go from there. It's to hard to plan things these days, and i knew I wouldnt be able renew it - so i just watched the first two episodes.

Good? Very. As good as BOB or Gen Kill? Nope - not yet, not close. Only 1/5 through it - and loving it - but it's definitely in third place. Part of it may be that it is a hoge pge about he war in th Pacific. BOB and G.K. were true stories about the units in action. Pacifc, i believe (/fear), is more of a compilation, or greatest hits, or American units. So, @ Guadalcanal, the two most famous massacres of Japanese men - one a flanking maneuver on the beach and the massacre on the ridge - this nit is in the middle of both. Not sure if they were -but the battle sconce's of these two battles are extremely ell done and actually give you feel for those two battles.

See it too.

No comments: