23 May, 2011

Father Mike returns!

So I had the opportunity to actually go to a mass @ St. Sabina's where Father Mike gave the sermon. I was worried lastw eek it would never happen - but Cardinal George allowed him back after several meetings.

Kool as hell. Went to the 11:15 mass - it got out @ 2:45 (!)- and I loved it. Again - longtime, not used to such long masses - but well worth it. I think I am going to try to go once a month. Again - there was the long concert type "Praise Jesus" start- with slow songs and rocking, hand clapping ass kickers. Yes, I sanfg and clapped, although a....little uncomfortable sometimes... but no one cared, of course. Lots of hugs from complete strangers - a very huggy congregation - like 10 different people. Very kool.

And Father mikes sermon. Usually, the priest will deliver a sermon from that days gospel reading. Father Mike went around that and instead did it from a Psalm (83?), and it was great. Again and again, it kept coming around to whatever you are going through, Gods got yr back. The Psalm had in it the people going through a dry valley (Baca) and getting out to the other side. Funny - Always I think, am i doing things rite? Why is my life so danm stupid? Ive made so many terrible decisions, and life - mine - can be in such a terrible condition. But that thought - that God 's got my back - does occur. AM I doing Jesus's work? Would He be happy with what I am doing? And, fuck status or money or time or who I spend time with or all of that - does any of that really matter, if 'Gods got my back?'

And yes - this is the way I think these days. Don't worry, just do the right thing. Try. Keep on keeping on. So, in my times of trouble, this does comfort me. Although, yes, I'm a terrible sinner as well.

So, again and again, i get such positive vibes from going ot church, especially St. Sabina's. Not next week, but I'll go soon again. It's too good of an experience. Lots of interesting people. Beautiful. Some dressed up, some not. The singing. Enjoying beiing immersed in another culture - this is purely African American, tho' it's maybe 5% white in the church during mass. People are so happy and welcoming to see you. One feels part of something greater than yrself.

And that's what it's supposed to be. Amen.

No comments: