23 May, 2011

Bird Annotations

The American Redstart

Lazy lookingout the window, when something tiny teeterer about nearby. Never seen this ird before, so i study the hell out of it as it flits about. Tried to camera it and film it, but never my love. Fairly easy re-co'ing it in the bird books - looks and acts just like they said.


Murder Amongst the Bushes

Always wondered what I'd do if I saw a Hawk or Owl cornering a little bird ot animal.. Always figured I'd let nature take it's course. Then when it actually happened, i felt terrible guilt after the outcome. On the block,a nd a muchefucking badass Hawk was just sitting on a railing of a house. In the bushes below, the little brown birlds nervouse trying to survive. Across the street, i stopped and watched. After a bit, the Hawk just dived straight into the bush and came out w. feathers. Instantly I felt like shit when I realsied that that little brown thing probsably was @ my feederd earlier in the day. I felt I let down a friend.

Won't happen again.

The Return of the American Robins

Last eyar a American Robin pair had a nest in the crook of the drainpipe inmy house. So exciting!! However, before they fledges, the two wee birdeenes were flushed from their nestbecause it got infested by bugs - one of the eggs didnt hatch and went bad. I think what happend was that the birds got so scratchy that they jumped out of the enst 0 and were caught by one of the free cats that live in the area. One nite I heard the Robin parents screeching and screeching and I ran outside. I tried to get the cat - a sweet little thing I've nicknamed "Bamboo" - to give it up - but it raced away w. the bird in it's mouth. Later I found the remains in the alley opposite.

Now, Robins have laid FOUR eggs in the nest. They both flush the nest when I am on the porch or go to take a closer look - again screeching and screching @ me while they are perched in the tree nearby. No, do not want to make their life difficult. But - will look for dead eggs after baby bird appear - do not want a reprise of the murders of last year.

The Hummingbird Yard

Bro in lawas siste rlive sout in way subarbs - not wild area, but distinctly country compared to Mt. Greenwood neighbourhood of Chicago. Their backyard - smallish by some suburban standards - is green and wooden and kool. There used to be a small creek that ran through the back of it, and trees are everywhere. So, saw a little hmmingbird in a large tree's branches. NICE! Looking thro' across their property, I could see that their neighbour's yard was really set up to atract hummingbirds - lots of plants thta those birds like, and feeders abunded. Very nice. One of my aims is to garner hummingbird's attentions for my yard. Got the Goldfinches easy w. the sunflowers and feeders - but so badly want hummingbirds. Ongoing project.




2 comments:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

Mercy and the instinctive defence of the weak is also nature running its course.

Hilts said...

I think so .