22 April, 2009

Football au printemps:losses

So different has this season been from what i expected. Somethings I have done rite so far - and other things show just how inexperienced I am. A work in progress.
So, we played a top team that we had tied last year - but we lost this year. It was only 1-0, and we had our chances - but the other team was the better team. We weren't dominated - but it was a fair result. We are now 4-4, but more importantly, we are 1-3 in conference. We have only three more games left, and have to get results in them or else we may be 'relegated' if we finish in the bottom three of the eight team conference. And to think - I had pompously put first place in our sites to start the season - and now we have to fite to stay afloat.
Injuries have been a reason. We are w/ out our left mid and right forward. We got a shot in the arm w/ a replacement for the right forward - but our bench is now whisper thin. To flesh out the squad yesterday, I had to promote a JV player to varsity so we could have subs.
But injuries are only a part of the story. I didn't take control enough @ the beginning of the season - part of my learning process - and that has hindered us. Plus the inescapable fact is that other programs have had their staffs in place for years - and this is the first year for our staff. So - my wondrous plans for 'taking over the entire world' w/ y team - well, , again, it's a process.
Yesterday - there was the question of whether we'd get the game in. I knew that we'd do it - but everyone else was scared. So, inevitably we got word the game was on - so we trundled up to the north side to play. Beautiful lush grass in the stadium - mud by the end of the games - but happy to play.
So - what went wrong inthis game? Kinda, just outplayed by, kinda, a better team. I'd said before that we'd tied them last year - and this year we lost. They have a great staff - and I get the feeling that in context, we went backwards a bit - blame the coach. But the other team just had better passing, cornerkicks, and of course a lone goal that went in over the goalies head (too short). So, we lose again - and again, by one goal.
So, since my team was happy enough after the game, I was ok. But this coaching thing ... is very frustrating.

No comments: