25 March, 2010

football

busy being a football coach again. CPS did away with junior varsity teams in a cost cutting move - devastating - so i really dont get to be a head coach this spring. We only have two teams. However, that's ok - the guys I work w. are scarily great coaches -((so great I remain w. this program although I haven't been working @ this school since 2006 )) and it's fun to just be involved.


No more J-V teams? Before the decision was made to cut JV teams in the city, our teams 's schedule was set - and since there are many suburban and Catholic teams we play (in addition to the city fixtures) and they all have JV teams, it means we have a J-V team. These are the girls i will be working w. more - although I know there are two coaches ahead of me.
.

I'll also work w. the freshman girls - that's our real official second team. My best place is always working w. the kids who are really low on the scale - I'm next to worthless in the Fall w. thr varsity team - what can I teach them (in soccer) besides keeping them engaged in practice and in games. Small part, I enjoy it.

SO, season has started - and so my days now extend to getting home @ 7 many days. We had two games yesterday - one was the JVteam helped out by two varsity players who were playing their first game of the year (varsity's third game, but one was coming back from injury and the other from "boyfriend is more important than soccer" break (yes, that happens..... ) Both teams loked tepid - varsity got a tie and junior varsity a win. I really like that the season has started - so great to see the girls actually put what they have practiced into a real game situation.

love it. Hellalota work, but always funtime.


No comments: