14 August, 2009

soccer in the summer

Even thought i no lonfger teach @ this school - and i wont be getting paid a dime - im still coaching soccer. Im low man on the totem pole here - assistant on the freshman team - but its been fun. Ive had to wake @ 9am every day, but practice is over by 12 or 12.30. Im so old @ this point - ill get in gol to sub for a player for a bit - but the knees, man!!

But what I really wanted to communicate is that I haven't showered allw eek!! really!! And Ive been out in the sun every noon, baking, sweating, etc etc etc... Now I have brushed my teeth - but since an afternoon shower on Mondy before the shellac show - stink!!

Reminds me of the summer sof 1972 and 1980. hese were the first two summers i spent in ireland - all summer, basically - and where my parents were born, there still were no indoor plumbing or electricity in 1972 - and no plumbing in 1980. Since i was reasonably young back then, showers were not really needed too much - well they were, but i didn't care. I bet i went both summers w/out washing my pitts - ys, disgusting, i know - and washing my hair once a week.

Water was collected into one of those old oil drums chicago used to have as garbage cans. The rain would wash off the roof and into these buckets - then it would be heated over the turf stove (1/2 turf and 1/2 coal) and dished over us. But- since 1980, Ive always loved rainwater for hairwashing - for whatever reason, it's great for the hair.
i will wash today - after I say helo to Matthew J. fer a bit

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TMI. Too much information. Take a shower.