12 August, 2009

Berlin, 1945, April

I've drifted into the Beatles again. Easy to do. I was @ Gf's library stopping by like I do (two days after the Klas - last time I s'awer) and maybe for the fiftieth time I checked out the Beatles Anthology collection. Her library has it on VCR - when I first rented them, I had no dvd) Something dragged me to it that last visit, and I again went through the first four vcrs in order- Im rite before Shea Stadium yet again.

I know this will make me totally unpopular, but I have a strong preference for th early Beatles. All that early excitement, the newness of it all, and th' rocking beat - I really love that part of the story. When I was young, part of my Beatle upbringing was the Beatle cartoon series - and it featured all the early stuff. I know most prefer the later more accomplished Beatles- but I like the idea also of th power of youth and my own time 'as a Beatle', so to speak.


This song was never one of my favourite back when, or back whenever - but it has become a deep favourite this summer. And it's this version of this song that made me the madfan of late= Pauls attempt @ french intro, the raggeded harmonies, and the beat. Again, the power of the early Beatles.

And another thing - the shots of the fans are worth watching this video in itself. There are many songs from the same show in Paris and each song features snap shots of fans reacting to the Beatles live - and each shot is funny as hell (especially the cumulative effect).



So, forwhatever reason, its a song and a tune and feeling thats been running through me all summer. And i'm not what I appear to be.

3 comments:

Dread Pirate Jessica said...

I went through a phase - or rather an epoch, it lasted for years - of only listening to early Beatles. Not too parsed by Beatles nerds, danceable and fucking sexy - I could totally get what was driving a generation of young girls crazy - John throwing down reasons to bang him in yowls, Paul in ridiculous charm.

I got over it a couple of months ago when I heard the White Album again. Fuck parsing by Beatles nerds. That's a fucking awesome album. As are most of them.

Hilts said...

amen, sister yessie

Hilts said...

It was a summer morning of wandering around the college neighbourhood of roger park in July of 1988 and stopping by w. Jacksons @ his old lovers 3d floor crib - sh put on the White Album and there was basically my 'hey, this is kinda kool' moment towards the beatles after June 1967. Besides the hits, of course.