26 September, 2013

Season again

I have to coach two teams this year - thanks to the 3k layoffs in CPS, both of the other soccer coaches were left go (as well as the two basketball teams they coached last year). Horrible - it's way too much for a single coach to handle, but it's left us where we are.

Ive had to split my time among the two teams. Very hard. So far, I ve worked a schedule where one two days I coach one team, and two days the other. The 5/6th grade team is ok with scrimmaging on the other field while I practice the 7/8th, but the opposite is too hard - basically, the 7/8th graders are ...... less mature than the younger kids. S0, a real problem.

The 7/8th grade team is going along terrible. Last year, we had mind bending killer son the team. We lost in the City playoffs, but I feel we should have gone much further - the team was as good as many HS's JV team, or could put up a grand battle. But this year? Not the same spirit. Part of it is me having to split myself among the two teams, and part of it is the loss of so much very very veteran leadership of last year.
 
However - yeah, nice day today.  Finally, we are approaching teamhood.  I'd scheduled a game w. one of the top city programs freshman team.  My boys were all scared @ facing a HS team, but we played well.  They got a 4m goal, but we kept it tght till 1/2 time.  Eventually they got the last two goals to make it 0-3 FT - but trust me it was fine.  I feel we were energized, and I feel so much better about the season.
 
Tomorrow - another friendly , but against a grammer school team.  I suspect confidence will be up.  My now is.  It felt horrible about the kids not having a good experience..... but it seems it's all changed.

No comments: