03 March, 2012

Naan on Devon

Hadda happen sometime, but finally it did - excited to try anew Devon Indian food pace - Naan on Devon - and came away .... disappointed. A Friday in Lent so I was meatless - and since Gahreeb has so many succulent veggie meals, Mothers and I decided to Devon it - but w. a twist. We had a 1/2 priced coupon for Naan, and decided to cash it in there instead of the more familiar Gahreeb. She - no catholic - got shik kabob beef and I got veggie byrani (rice), plus 4 paratha.

Took it to her crib and ate. Paratha? Dry. Yougert sauce? Waterey. Byrani? Eh. I tried the beef this morning - that was pretty good. So, an underwhelming dining experience - but, there were 'conditions'. I was having a blueday in my head, so that kinda took away my appetite. I'm mainly a carnivore, so stuck w. a pure veggie meal isn't always good for me. based on these conditions, I will try Naan again, except w/ meat meat. I will give it another try.

Now - the atmosphere of Naan - quite kool. Gahreeb has plenty of people who are not Indian chowing there. Loyola students, , random crackers, Africans and African Americans, Hispanics - all are in the house there (plus, overwhelmingly, Indians, Indian young people on the town, Indian families, etc etc - 80% of the faces there are Indian. Given that it is open all nite, well lit from the outside calling the hungry in, the easternmost food place on Devon, and the cheapest pace on the strip make it a draw for all folk.

Naan? In the middle of the strip (across from Chopal, where we ate on St. Valentines Day, near tiffen where we ate Wednesday). Clientele? Bunch of old Indian dudes eating w. their hands. Felt slitely outta place. But best of all was the additions. The Muslim Observer newspaper to read. Mothers spotted a prayer room and I spotted a sink to correctly wash oneself before meals. Want to go back again to give it another shot, and because, well, mainly for the atmosphere.

Just hoping the paratha isn't as dry next time.

No comments: