25 November, 2009

height, weight, experience

First time since spring 1995, I was involved in a staff-student basketball game. Heh - thinking im athletic! It was a 48m long game- but no tv timeouts, so it didn't last 2.5h. We won. In reality, we could have killed them - but the final score wasn't that much. However, we weren't tested at all in the fourth quarter.

How was I? I was THE 12th man, as my 11 teammates towered over me in ... well, height, weight, experience. I played some minutes - maybe 10-12m overall - and scored no points. 0-2 in free throws, and maybe 0-3 from the floor. 1 board. But it was fun. Plus She was there, watching.

The teachers really took it pretty seriously. Lots of talk of aching bones and all that - but we were determined to win. The kids @ our school are so out-there in their behaviour, I think all of the staff had no need to hear the kids yabbering the rest of the school year if they had won. In 1996 when we played the kids, the teachers won that game as well - but it took three teacher free throws w. time expired to SEND THE GAME INTO OT. This time it wasn't that stressful.

And it is very important, I feel, for both kids and staff: it's always nice to have the kids in non classroom situations interacting w. responsible adults. We'd gone to the circus last week, and some of the teachers have aken kids to various functions. I'd like to take some of the kids to different places - there are deals for Bulls tix and I was thinking of taking a few - plus Sox season is coming up. Always a good deal to get the kids experiencing stuff they normally do not get to (Very very poor kids @ this school - we probably got the poorest and most disadvantaged kids in the city). It'll happen.

Speaking of 1996, I wore my 1996 Playoff Pippens - those awful Nikes w. the giant "AIR" on the side of them. "Playoff" because they are black, as opposed to the white regular season versions. And no, I am not a show guy, but .... They are probably my favourite sneakers of all time - and they are finally really starting to wear. Only sometimes do I wear. Garish beyond belief, yes I know, but: tho they black, they seem florescent.

And a nice day. We have uh, real specal kids. Our school is unique in the city. These days the kids go really nuts (we have 2-3 fights a day - and we have only 55 kids!!), so the school amps in down for the day before the holiday. SO, we had some chill classtime in the AM, then the game began @ 10.30, then lunch, then chiil time. Its a special school filled w. special kids. And man, they can go wilde. Just so much today, thank Jesus.

No comments: